Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork



I came across this recipe in a New Orleans Cuisine cookbook I have. It sounded yummy and fairly simple, but I adapted it a bit based on what I had on hand. This would probably be just as yummy using chicken if you don't have pork on hand. We'll definitely be having this again.

Sweet and Sour Pork

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. boneless pork, cut in 1-inch cubes
Flour, all-purpose
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup vinegar (I used white)
1/2 cup water
1 bell pepper, rough chop
1 (12 oz.) jar of pineapple preserves (***I couldn't find pineapple preserves, so I used a small jar of crushed pineapple in pineapple juice, plus 2-3 heaping tablespoons of some apricot/pineapple jam I just happened to have in my pantry. I think it would have been fine with just the crushed pineapple though, if you don't have any pineapple preserves available to you.)

Directions:

In a bowl or shallow dish, pour about one cup of flour and season with salt and pepper. Coat the meat with the flour. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the pork, and brown on both sides. Add the barbecue sauce, vinegar, and water. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the bell pepper and pineapple and simmer for 10-15 minutes more, until the bell pepper is tender.

Serve it over rice.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment