Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Homemade Slow-Cooker Applesauce



A few weeks back, the family and I went to the Fruit and Berry Patch in Halls, TN.  Every year for the past three years we go and pick pumpkins together as a family.  Since the Fruit and Berry Patch is also an apple orchard, we usually walk away with a peck or bushel of locally grown apples in all sorts of varieties! Talk about delicious.  We have eaten so many apples in the past week, and instead of making an apple pie or my favorite apple crisp, I decided to try my hand at homemade applesauce when I came across a recipe on Eat At Home.

This turned out so yummy and delicious, and my house smelled wonderful and very fall-ish all day long!

Homemade Slow-Cooker Applesauce

Ingredients:
10-15 small apples (or about one bag)
juice of 1 lemon (I didn't have this on hand, so I did without)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/3 cup of apple juice

Directions:
Peel, core, and slice apples.  Put apples, along with all other ingredients, in slow cooker.  Toss gently to coat apples.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.  About half-way through, take a whisk or potato masher and stir apples to break them up.

Suggestions:  I thought that the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon was perhaps too much for my taste.  Next time I make this, I will use less cinnamon....maybe 1/2 teaspoon.  A little goes a LONG way, but my kids still really enjoyed it. 

Also, it was a great "dessert" after dinner served warm....just like hot, baked apples!  Maybe some ice cream would be a nice little addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment