Saturday, January 16, 2010

Yum, yum, yum.....HUMMUS!

For the longest time, I didn't think I liked hummus. I don't know if it just took such a long time before I had some that was actually delicious or if I just had a close-minded approach to the stuff. Plain, ground up chickpeas aren't really that appetizing, if we're being honest here, and some restaurants cover the dip with feta (blek!). However, over the past year or so, I have become SUPER fond of this yummy Greek treat and have had some amazing versions. If you haven't tried it yet, try out the hummus at The Tomato Head in Market Square. Supreme! I have really been wanting to find a good recipe so I could make some for us at home, and my friend Katie shared hers with me. I whipped up a batch this afternoon in a matter of minutes and let me just say: oh. my. goodness.

Let me warn you: it's addicting and super easy and very healthy!

Katie's Hummus

1 15 oz. can of chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you don't prefer spicy food)
juice of 2-3 lemons (preferably fresh-squeezed)
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth or your desired texture. Serve with pita slices/tortillas and fresh vegetables. Cucumbers and carrots are best!

**I adjusted Katie's original recipe just a bit. She recommended 1 Tablespoon of cayenne pepper, but I decided to take it easy due to the fact that I'm pregnant, and I had visions of sleepless nights due to heartburn. I used only 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and it was PLENTY spicy for me, and I'm from New Orleans. Katie must love her some spice. My advice: start small and add if you think it's needed.

**This recipe is wonderful! I have an idea to add green olives to the list of ingredients to be processed for my next batch because I am obsessed with green olives. I could eat them on anything. I bet sun-dried tomatoes would be a great addition as well.

**Tahini was a challenge for me to find at the grocery store, but I found it at my Kroger in the olive section, next to all the fancy olives. It looks like peanut butter, but it's made of ground sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment