Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spinach Maria

I have many recipes up my sleeves that I want to share.  I don't know if it's the second trimester or this cold weather, but something has kicked this little momma's tail into high-cooking gear.  If you feel inclined, please come and remove my Pioneer Woman cookbook.  I.just.can't.stop.

Anyway, for Christmas day this year, my mother gave me a recipe for a Spinach Maria that I prepared to along with our delicious roast dinner that my mom made.  It was wonderful, so I have to share.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but just close your eyes and imagine spinach divineness!

Spinach Maria

Ingredients:
3 packages (10 oz. each) of frozen, chopped spinach
2 14 oz. cans of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1.5 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup cream (light or heavy, depending on your preference or what you have on hand)
1 8oz. cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes (easier to melt)
1 stick butter
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Defrost spinach in microwave or follow instructions for stovetop cooking.  Drain well, making sure you squeeze excess water out thoroughly.  In a large saucepan, melt butter.  Place spinach in a large saucepan, adding cut-up cream cheese.  Stir well until melted.  Add chopped artichoke hearts, Worchestershire sauce, and cream.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Place in a casserole dish, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs (and even some Parmesan cheese if you want to!)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly!

*On Christmas Day, I halved this recipe because there were only about 4-5 of us eating it, and we had TONS of other food.  It was wonderful!
*To be honest, I would feel free to add as much cream and cream cheese to this as you prefer.  If the consistency is too thick for your preference, add some more to make it more liquidy (Is that even a word!?) or creamy.  The measurements I included above are estimates, as I am the type to just make things up or make changes as I go along.  (I don't always follow the recipe exactly.  Don't tell anyone, ok?)
*Now that I have royally confused everyone, including myself, I hope you enjoy this yummy side dish.  I just love spinach, and it is so good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment