Monday, January 2, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks

 Where do I begin!?  We had a wonderful weekend celebrating the New Year with our little family of five and some friends.  Jonathan and I finally bit the bullet and made my grandfather's famous Seafood Gumbo recipe.  Since it will fully feed an entire army, we decided we would share the love with some friends, so we invited over a few last night for dinner.  Since it was New Year's Day I couldn't NOT have black-eyed peas.  SERIOUSLY!  So, I ran to the arms (read: website) of my steadfast Pioneer Woman for a grand recipe including the traditional New Year's Day ingredient.  Lo and behold, she had a dip recipe that looked delicious, so I figured I would give it a shot.  I mean, I had a steaming 4 gallon pot of gumbo on the stove.  I didn't need to fix an entire pot of peas, so the dip was just what we needed.  It was a huge hit and something I will definitely make again.  To make things even better, apart from the can of black-eyed peas, I had everything else in the recipe in my fridge or pantry.  Secondly, it took about 3.5 minutes to assemble and 20 minutes to bake.  Simple.  Scrumptious.  Seriously, the pan was empty in now time.

Black-Eyed Pea Dip

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (14-ounce) Can Black-eyed Peas
  • 1/4 whole Onion, Chopped Fine
  • 1/4 cup Sour Cream
  • 8 slices Jarred Jalapenos
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons Salsa
  • Hot Sauce, to taste
  • Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.  Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine.  Spread into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Serve with tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment