Monday, January 2, 2012

Carmelitas

This is a Pinterest Proven recipe.  That means that it is a recipe that I came across on Pinterest that I have actually tried.  I saw the picture of these puppies on the website and instantly started to drool.  Of course, I had to have an excuse to make them, so since we had friends over for dinner for the New Year, I decided they should have something sweet to indulge in after their meal.  Boy are these divine!  I will absolutely be making these Carmelitas in the future. 

Photo and Recipe courtesy of Lulu the Baker


Carmelitas:

Ingredients:

32 caramel squares, unwrapped  (My two oldest kiddos LOVED doing this job!  Way to include the children!!!)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

*They should be stored and served at room temperature.
**To make a 9x13" version, simply double the amounts.

I loved how easy these were to make, and I loved that the kids got to help me out a bit.  While they unwrapped the caramels, I got the batter ingredients prepared.  While the crust baked, I made the caramel sauce, then assembled the rest and let it finish baking.  My Carmelitas sat on the counter for a few hours and cooled to room temperature.  This was a perfect amount of time to let the caramel harden up a bit.  We had a few leftover to enjoy today and the caramel is still so soft and chewy!  These are a definite to try.  Thank you, Pinterest.  And thank you Lulu the Baker for posting this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment